It won’t be long until our Annual Autumn Sale:
Fri. 17th October 3 pm – 7 pm
Sat. 18th October 11 am to 3 pm
The English Book Sale is held at the community centre of the Lutheran Jesuskirche in Haar
If you’ve never been to our book sale, it’s held at the Jesuskirche’s community center, located at Waldluststrasse 36 in Haar, just a 10 minute walk from the S-bahn (S4) in Haar. Signs will be posted along the way to guide you to the sale. To view a map, see: www.jesuskirche.de/kontakt
Donations have been rolling in so you will really be spoilt for choice as you browse amongst the thousands of books on offer. There is really something for everyone and at amazingly affordable prices (most at €2 or less). At the same time you will have an opportunity to relax and chat over a cup of coffee or tea and “hand-crafted” cakes and biscuits in our cafe area. We also offer a free child-minding service for younger children while you shop, and will also be glad to help you carry your purchases to the car. In other words, we are sure you will enjoy your visit and we will be delighted to see you.
As always, 100% of the proceeds will be used to provide practical assistance to families and orphans in Ilembula, Tanzania. With the income from past book sales, we have:
- Provided support for AIDS orphans (school supplies and school uniforms)
- Paid for the education of kindergarten teachers, nurses and solar technicians
- Helped pay for the building of an AIDS education center
- Provided the means for the HIV-positive group to start a small business renting out chairs and tents for weddings, meeting and other events
- Bought braille paper, and bell-equipped footballs for the school for the blind
- Paid for the shipment of donated medical equipment to the hospital
- Paid for the building of adobe stoves to reduce deforestation through more the efficient use of firewood, plus prevent smoke-related lung diseases and burn injuries
The “Ilembula” project was established 20 years ago, and has worked continuously since then to enhance the lives of the community of Ilembula, Tanzania through health, education and environmental initiatives.
Please browse this website to see photos of some of the things we’ve funded with the book sale proceeds
Very many thanks to all of you who have donated so many books.
Donations: This book sale is only possible with your donations of English-language books and DVDs. We particularly welcome your donations of children’s books.
The following items are also desperately needed by the community in Ilembula. Please drop off any of these items with your book donations or bring them to the sale and we’ll send them directly on to our partners in Africa: Encyclopedias (recent), medical, surgery, midwifery, nursing, anatomy or botany books, National Geographic magazines, shoes (clean, no winter boots, please!), cell phones (unlocked and with rechargers), laptop computers (no matter how outdated, as long as they are in working order), cutlery, tools, musical instruments, mechanical typewriters. Please do not leave any clothes, as transportation costs to Africa are much too high to make it worthwhile.
Phone: Gerlinde Rückert (089) 463 198
Kirsten Braun (089) 46 20 32 64
Facebook: Munich English Book Sale