If you missed our Spring Clearance Sale, don’t worry, it won’t be long until our Annual Autumn Sale:
Friday, October 16, 2015 from 3 to 7 pm
Saturday, October 17, 2015 from 11 am to 3 pm
At our sale, you’ll be able to enjoy home-baked treats and coffee/tea in our reader’s lounge and browse several rooms full of books and DVDs. We’ll have over 10,000 items for sale, most priced at €2 or less.
The Autumn Sale will be held at the Community Center (Gemeindezentrum) of the Lutheran Jesuskirche in Haar (Waldluststr 36 – 85540 Haar). If you’ve never been to our huge Autumn sale, it’s just a 10 minute walk from the S-bahn (S4 and S6) in Haar. Signs will be posted along the way to guide you to the sale.
We’ll have thousands of books and many DVDs available. There’s something for everyone – from children’s books to travel books, all sorted by category. Most of our books are priced at €2 or less, so it’s a great chance to stock up on your favorite authors and subjects.
As always, 100% of the proceeds will be used to provide practical assistance to families and orphans in Ilembula, Tanzania. With the income from past book sales, we have:
- Provided support for AIDS orphans (school supplies and school uniforms)
- Paid for the education of kindergarten teachers, nurses and solar technicians
- Helped pay for the building of an AIDS education center
- Provided the means for the HIV-positive group to start a small business renting out chairs and tents for weddings, meeting and other events
- Bought braille paper, and bell-equipped footballs for blind students
- Paid for the shipment of donated chairs, tables and material for the center for orphaned and disabled children and teens, the kindergarten and the AIDS education center
- Paid for the building of adobe stoves to reduce deforestation through the more efficient use of firewood, plus prevent smoke-related lung diseases and burn injuries
- Funded supplies for the Munich team of Days for Girls (www.daysforgirls.org) to provide girls with feminine hygiene kits so that they can attend school year round
The “Ilembula” project was established over 25 years ago, and has worked continuously since then to enhance the lives of the community of Ilembula, Tanzania through health, education and environmental initiatives. These projects are funded through our book sale. At our 2014 Autumn Sale, we earned €8,593 – a new record! This is quite an achievement, considering that over 90% of our books cost €2 or less. Our 2015 Spring Clearance Sale set a new record as well – we sold over 4,000 books at 2-for-1 prices and raised €1.574. These achievements would not have been possible without our dedicated team of 18 volunteers working many hours to price the items and sort them into categories by genre.
Please browse this website to see photos of some of the things we’ve funded with the book sale proceeds.
Very many thanks to all of you who have donated so many books.
Donations: This book sale is only possible with your donations of English-language books and DVDs. We particularly welcome your donations of children’s books.
The following items are also desperately needed by the community in Ilembula. Please drop off any of these items with your book donations or bring them to the sale and we’ll send them directly on to our partners in Africa: Encyclopedias (recent), medical, surgery, midwifery, nursing, anatomy or botany books, National Geographic magazines, shoes (clean, no winter boots, please!), laptop computers (no matter how outdated, as long as they are in working order), cutlery, tools, musical instruments, mechanical typewriters. Please do not leave any clothes, as transportation costs to Africa are much too high to make it worthwhile.
Phone: Gerlinde Rückert (089) 463 198
Kirsten Braun (089) 46 20 32 64
Facebook: Munich English Book Sale