Keen readers of English will welcome the news that they’ll have an excellent opportunity to stock up on their favourite authors and subjects at the
2017 Annual Autumn Book Sale
which will be held on
- Friday 13th October 2017 from 3 pm to 7 pm and
- Saturday 14th October 2017 from 11 am to 3 pm
The venue for the 2017 Book Sale will again be
Ernst-Mach-Gymnasium, Jagdfeldring 82, 85540 Haar.
The high school shares our close links with Ilembula and has again kindly offered the use of its facilities for the sale. This new venue proved ideal for last year’s sale as it features plenty of light and space, and makes it possible to hold the entire sale on the ground floor. There is also enough room for prams and strollers and wheelchairs. The school is situated just 10 minutes’ walk from Haar S-Bahn station (S4 and S6) and there is also good parking. For a map showing the school’s location please follow this link: https://goo.gl/maps/ykue1e1w26K2.
There will be thousands of books and DVDs on sale, priced between 50 cents and 5 euros. The sale features something for every taste – from general fiction and children’s books to travel, business, cookery, science fiction … all sorted by category. Visitors will also have an opportunity to browse and chat over a cup of coffee or tea and home-made cakes in the lounge area. There will also be a play section for children so that parents can shop at leisure.
View of just two sections of the sales area
The Ilembula Project
The English Book Sale has been running for 9 years and the entire proceeds are used to provide practical assistance to families and orphans in Ilembula, Tanzania. The Ilembula project was established over 30 years ago, and has worked continuously since then to enhance the lives of the community of Ilembula, Tanzania through health, education and environmental initiatives. The proceeds of the English Book Sale help to fund these projects. The 2016 Autumn Sale earned 12,400 euros – a new record! This is quite an achievement considering that over 90% of the books cost 2 euros or less. The 2017 Spring Clearance Sale set a new record as well, selling over 4,000 books at 2-for-the-price-of-1 and raising 2,960 euros. These achievements would not have been possible without generous donations of books and DVDs by the general public (17,000 items were donated in 2016) and without the Sale’s dedicated team of currently 26 volunteers working tirelessly for hours sorting and pricing the thousands of donations.
Volunteers bringing order into chaos!
Proceeds from the English Book Sale have over the years:
- Provided support for AIDS orphans (school supplies and school uniforms)
- Paid for the education of kindergarten teachers, nurses and solar technicians
- Helped pay for the building of an AIDS education centre
- Provided the means for the HIV-positive group to start a small business renting out chairs and tents for weddings, meetings and other events
- Bought braille paper, and bell-equipped footballs for blind students
- Paid for the shipment of donated chairs, tables and material for the centre for orphaned and disabled children and teens, the kindergarten and the AIDS education centre
- Paid for the building of adobe stoves to reduce deforestation through the more efficient use of firewood; these stoves also help to prevent the burn injuries commonly sustained from the open fires previously used, and as they incorporate chimneys they also help to avert smoke-related lung diseases
- Funded supplies for the Munich team of Days for Girls (daysforgirls.org) to provide girls with feminine hygiene kits so that they can attend school all the year round
- Funded a special health and hygiene campaign in schools in and around Ilembula to promote health awareness amongst the pre-teens and teens, in particular AIDS prevention.
Please browse this website to see photos of some of the projects to which the Book Sale has contributed.
Book and DVD Donations
The Book Sale is only possible thanks to the thousands of books and DVDs donated and purchased so generously by the general public over the years. Please contact us to obtain further information about donation procedure (see Contact Information below).
The following items are also desperately needed by the community in Ilembula and can be brought along with book donations or given to volunteers at the Sale. They will then be added to the containers sent twice a year to Ilembula:
English medical, surgery, midwifery, nursing, anatomy or botany books, encyclopedias, National Geographic magazines; laptop computers (no matter how outdated, as long as they are in working order and are not password-protected), cutlery, kitchen aids and appliances, tools, musical instruments, mechanical typewriters; shoes (clean, but no winter boots please!) – please do not bring clothes as transportation costs to Africa are much too high to make it worthwhile and as we prefer to support the local textile industry.
To obtain further details about the English Book Sale and about donating, either
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your name included on the mailing list
- contact us via Facebook (Munich English Book Sale)
or Twitter (@MunichEnglishBookSale)
District Pastor Kuyava from Ilembula and Mr Kidodelo, the managing director of Emmaberg girls’ boarding school, expressing their thanks for the Book Sale’s support.