Please make a note of our next sale,
our Annual Autumn Sale
- Friday 14th October 2016 from 3pm to 7pm and
- Saturday 15th October 2016 from 11 am to 3 pm
Please note our new venue:
This year’s Book Sale will be held in new, more spacious sourroundings at the Ernst-Mach-Gymnasium in Jagdfeldring 82, 85540 Haar.
We will send you further details about these sales nearer the time.
We hope that you enjoyed coming to the sale and are having a pleasant time reading or viewing your purchases. We are always keen to receive your comments or suggestions about how you think we could improve the sale and would really appreciate any feedback you would like to give us.
Facebook: Munich English Book Sale Twitter: @EnglishBookSale
or call Gerlinde Rückert on 089 463 198 or Kirsten Braun on 089 46 20 32 64.
If by chance you receive duplicate mails or would no longer like to receive these emails, just let us know and we’ll update our mailing list accordingly. Your email address will of course always be treated confidentially and no information will be made available to third parties.
We wish you happy reading and viewing during the winter months and look forward to se
eing you again in 2016
Your Haar Book Sale Team
We’ll have thousands of books and many DVDs available. There’s something for everyone – from children’s books to travel books, all sorted by category. Most of our books are priced at €2 or less, so it’s a great chance to stock up on your favorite authors and subjects.
As always, 100% of the proceeds will be used to provide practical assistance to families and orphans in Ilembula, Tanzania. With the income from past book sales, we have:
- Provided support for AIDS orphans (school supplies and school uniforms)
- Paid for the education of kindergarten teachers, nurses and solar technicians
- Helped pay for the building of an AIDS education center
- Provided the means for the HIV-positive group to start a small business renting out chairs and tents for weddings, meeting and other events
- Bought braille paper, and bell-equipped footballs for blind students
- Paid for the shipment of donated chairs, tables and material for the center for orphaned and disabled children and teens, the kindergarten and the AIDS education center
- Paid for the building of adobe stoves to reduce deforestation through the more efficient use of firewood, plus prevent smoke-related lung diseases and burn injuries
- Funded supplies for the Munich team of Days for Girls (www.daysforgirls.org) to provide girls with feminine hygiene kits so that they can attend school year round
The “Ilembula” project was established over 25 years ago, and has worked continuously since then to enhance the lives of the community of Ilembula, Tanzania through health, education and environmental initiatives. These projects are funded through our book sale. At our 2015 Autumn Sale, we earned € 10.715 – a new record! This is quite an achievement, considering that over 90% of our books cost €2 or less. Our 2016 Spring Clearance Sale set a new record as well – we sold over 4,000 books at 2-for-1 prices and raised € 2.016. These achievements would not have been possible without our dedicated team of 18 volunteers working many hours to price the items and sort them into categories by genre.
Please browse this website to see photos of some of the things we’ve funded with the book sale proceeds.
Very many thanks to all of you who have donated so many books.
Donations: This book sale is only possible with your donations of English-language books and DVDs. We particularly welcome your donations of children’s books.
The following items are also desperately needed by the community in Ilembula. Please drop off any of these items with your book donations or bring them to the sale and we’ll send them directly on to our partners in Africa: Encyclopedias (recent), medical, surgery, midwifery, nursing, anatomy or botany books, National Geographic magazines, shoes (clean, no winter boots, please!), laptop computers (no matter how outdated, as long as they are in working order), cutlery, tools, musical instruments, mechanical typewriters. Please do not leave any clothes, as transportation costs to Africa are much too high to make it worthwhile.
Phone: Gerlinde Rückert (089) 463 198
Kirsten Braun (089) 46 20 32 64
Facebook: Munich English Book Sale